2019-2020 Community Impact Grant Application
The Community Impact Grant Program (formerly the Venture Grant Program),was established in 2003 by the United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley to focus resources on the priority health and human care needs that matter most to the people of our communities. Program grant reviews are undertaken annually by the Fund Distribution Committee.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for funding:
- Be a 501(c)(3) non-profit and be a Virginia registered charity.
- Be directed by a volunteer governing body with an organizational structure to administer programs.
- Account for funds in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Conduct an independent annual audit if revenue $250,000 or more … conduct a financial review if revenue below $250,000.
- Provide health and human services in the UWNSV catchment area (Winchester, Frederick, Clarke, Shenandoah Counties).
- Operate without discrimination.
- Overhead cost (management and general/fundraising) should not exceed 25% of revenue.
Eligible Activities for Funding:
Please indicate which of the following priority funding areas this program proposal (grant request) will address? (you may choose more than one)
The intent of this program is to respond to local priority needs as established through the United Way Community Needs process, including:
Investing in our children (Education):
- Children have access to basic needs
- Preschool aged children have access to affordable, high quality, early learning programs that prepare them for kindergarten
- Students have access to high quality, enriching out of school programs where students have support and encouragement for educational success from engaged parents/advocates and mentors.
- Junior high and high school students have access to age-appropriate college and career preparation and graduate equipped with skills for success.
Promote financial stability and independence (Income/Financial Stability):
- Families in our community are self-sufficient and move from financial instability to financial stability.
- Low or no income individuals acquire the skills necessary to secure and retain self and/or family-sustaining employment
- Vulnerable Seniors are able to access services that improve their quality of life and maintain independence.
Support our most vulnerable neighbors (Basic Needs):
- Help people in crisis meet their basic needs and become self-sufficient.
Build Healthier Communities (Health):
- Families and individuals are able to access quality and affordable health care which includes: physical, dental, mental health, and wellness.
- Children and Youth have access to emergency and ongoing mental health and counseling services.
- Aggressively address the substance abuse crisis in our community.
- Prevent and respond to domestic violence.
The following criteria will be used in reviewing Impact Grant requests:
- Application including all accountability documents
- Site Visit
- Panel Presentation
- Alignment with United Way priority needs areas
- Collaboration with other organizations
- Program Impact
- Program Outcomes
- Budget – Use of funds
Please see scoring rubric for additional information on each criteria.
- January 11, 2019, COB: Letters of Intent Due
- January 16, 2019: Grant Application Training – Southern Region (9:30AM-11AM, Mount Jackson, Town Hall First Floor Conference Room)
- January 24, 2019: Grant Application Training – Northern Region (9:30AM-11AM, Our Health, Eagle Conference Room)
- February 20, 2019, 11:59PM: Applications Due
- February 27, 2019: Panel Volunteer Training – Southern Region
- March 5, 2019: Panel Volunteer Training – Northern Region
- March 1-29, 2019: Panel Visits
- April 10, 2019: Panel Presentations for Southern Region
- April 3rd & 4th, 2019: Panel Presentations for Northern Region
- July 1st, 2019 – First quarterly payment processed
- June 30th, 2020 - Spending period ends
Download the Application
You can submit your application online below - Please note you must click SAVE DRAFT to continue working on it at a later date. Please review the required fields to make sure you have all of the documents you need to upload.