CDBG Rent/Mortgage and Utility Assistance
Overview: This program is being administered by United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley and Valley Assistance Network with funding provided by the City of Winchester through U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development through Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds. The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, passed in March 2020, is intended to help families overcome financial hardship due to the public health emergency (COVID-19).
Applications for assistance from City of Winchester residents will be accepted beginning July 1, 2021.
How to Apply: Residents of Winchester can apply for help with rent/mortgage only, utilities only, or both.
Please submit completed applications and required documentation to email@example.com or call (540) 773-3178 to schedule a time to come by and work on documentation.
To receive rent/mortgage or utility assistance, households must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of City of Winchester
- Have experienced a loss of income or financial hardship due to the Coronavirus pandemic, including but not limited to:
- Those who have been laid off;
- Those whose place of employment has closed;
- Those who have experienced a reduction in hours of work;
- Those who have reduced hours or lost employment due to care for children resulting of the closure of day care and/or school;
- Those who have a reduction of income at a new place of employment after being laid off due to COVID-19.
- Have a gross household income at or below 80% Area Medium Income (AMI) (based on current month’s income).
- The determination of income includes any unemployment insurance received by a member of the household but does not include one-time payments such as a stimulus check.
- All sources of income must be submitted at time of application, including: pay stubs, bank statements, letter from employer, social security documents, pension, etc.
- FOR RENT/MORTGAGE ASSISTANCE ONLY - Have a rent or mortgage amount that is at or below 150 percent Fair Market Rent (FMR)
- Winchester City
- Studio/efficiency - $1,167
- 1 Bedroom - $1,174.50
- 2 Bedroom - $1,540.50
- 3 Bedroom - $2,052.00
- 4 Bedroom - $2,704.50
- Winchester City
Please note: Households that receive Housing Choice Vouchers are ineligible for this program.
Priority will be given to applicants who have recently to the workforce and/or have a reduction in pay due to new employment.
Financial assistance can cover current and previous balances plus associated late fees as long as it incurred after March 1, 2020. Assistance will be granted up to $2,000 for Rent and Mortgage relief. Households can apply for help with paying past due rent or up to 3 months in advance, if eligible. Assistance may also be granted for up to $1,000 in assistance for utilities per household.
Households must exhaust all other funding and certify that they have not received a duplication in benefits from other state, federal, or local programs.
A request for assistance is not a guarantee that you will receive funding.