United Way NSV Helps Kids Achieve Their Potential
Imagine a community that fosters hope and opportunity for everyone. A community where all children receive a quality education that offers a pathway to a brighter tomorrow. United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley is working at critical points along the school spectrum to ensure the academic success of youth. The United Way is engaged to support youth with volunteers and champions for the cause of education. Thanks to you we are creating hope and opportunity for youth who are better prepared to succeed.
The 2014 needs assessment identified the following as United Way NSV priorities through 2017:
- Reduce truancy and school dropout rates
- Prepare children for school readiness
- Advance learning and career development
- Leadership and workforce development, including youth program collaboration
- $97,700 in Impact Grants made possible after school tutoring, truancy prevention, mentoring, science discovery program, books for children, job skills training, and kindergarten readiness.
- 252 Day of Caring volunteers made a difference by reading to children, maintaining museum exhibits and upgrading playgrounds.
- United Way partnered with Wal-Mart to provide pencils, paper, crayons, tissues, and backpacks for students in need through the Stuff the Bus Program.
To see a full list of the impact grants awarded in the Education category click here.