- UNEMPLOYMENT Legislation:
- No waiting period for unemployment benefits. Governor Northam has directed the Commissioner of the Virginia Employment Commission to waive the one-week waiting period to ensure workers can receive benefits as soon as possible.
- Enhanced eligibility for unemployment. Workers may be eligible to receive unemployment benefits if an employer needs to temporarily slow or cease operations due to COVID-19. If an empployee has been issued a notice to self-quarantine by a medical or public health official and is not receiving paid sick or medical leave from their employer, then they may be eligible to receive unemployment benefits. In addition, a worker may be eligible for unemployment benefits if they must stay home to care for an ill family member and are not receiving paid family medical leave from their employer.
- Fewer restrictions. For individuals receiving unemployment insurance, Governor Northam is directing the Virginia Employment Commission to give affected workers special consideration on deadlines, mandatory re-employment appointments, and work search requirements.
- The Governor's Office is providing a Frequently Asked Questions guide for workers that have been temporarily laid off or discharged during this public health crisis.
- Updated 3/19/2020 - see more here - https://www.virginia.gov/coronavirus-updates/
- UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE (UI) PROCEDURES TO FILE OR RE-OPEN A CLAIM
- Information on opening an unemployment claim
- FILING FOR UNEMPLOYMENT:
- Virginia Employment Comission - http://www.vec.virginia.gov/node/11699
- Visit the Top of Virginia Chamber Facebook Resource Group for more up to date employment opportunities - https://www.facebook.com/groups/621029325111609/
- ALDI: HIRING up to $17/hour - https://expertjobmatch.com/quick/reg/aldi?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=aldi&utm_content=%7B%7Badset.id%7D%7D&utm_term=%7B%7Bad.id%7D%7D&origin=facebook&type=cpc&fbclid=IwAR2phvnUc8GOJhbJEUc832OuEQgXw7LEnPDmzGL3G-bBAMEvQXuiwGnpDSs
- Door Dash: "During this time of uncertainty, we also want to acknowledge the incredible efforts of the Dashers out on the roads, who work so hard to make mealtime magic happen in homes around the globe. To support the Dasher community, we’ve introduced a COVID-19 Financial Assistance Program, which will provide up to two weeks of assistance to eligible Dashers who are diagnosed with COVID-19 or who are subject to individual quarantine at the direction of public health officials. The program will be available globally in all of the markets we serve in the United States (including Puerto Rico), Canada, and Australia." For more information on qulifications and how to submit a claim, please visit: https://help.doordash.com/dashers/s/article/COVID-19-Financial-Assistance-Program?language=en_US (updated 3:36 PM, 3/19/2020)
- FedEx: https://groundwarehousejobs.fedex.com/groundwarehousejobs/jobs/25736-407408?lang=en-us&codes=Indeed&fbclid=IwAR2bwU06YsWCcuXbM9Tne4O7VJIS0TPXR5nn5NxrmLOp32rlrCTmosTu40I\
- FEMA: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563544100?fbclid=IwAR0ug86RzD2YAh9d9cHHfUg_6LIULryJ729W2jHr5CcKosO7b979Mtl0jxA
- HP Hood: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/HPH1000/JobBoard/b4489760-cbeb-e7d1-67b6-4c4d81bfa181//OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=4cc06a3b-c47b-45c4-90af-cf23915edcd8&utm_source=LINKEDIN&utm_medium=referrer&fbclid=IwAR0xICM7AarQXdQTEh41IW_xZmgtkRRZc_M53ovejcvltcQeN6GKEDsaOKo
- Home Depot: https://careers.homedepot.com/job/6961534/warehouse-support-winchester-va/?fbclid=IwAR2V7OKPGgW2UbhxVl2eEWyMnaG72qBR67HjS0mxLPsNJyja_LDN_h6S4Ps
- Instacart - Hiring 300,000 workers nationwide - https://shoppers.instacart.com/
- Lowe's: https://jobs.lowes.com/job/winchester/ft-merchandising-service-associate-overnight/1627/15335516?fbclid=IwAR1uzFNFk5xAuQ42-Oq-adXEk0jrwUxa-FUJLnKAqINLDCebUw801IKE7j0
- Lyft: Lyft will provide funds to drivers should they be diagnosed with COVID-19 or put under individual quarantine by a public health agency. This helps support drivers financially when they can't drive, while also protecting our riders' health." The company said it would also temporarily suspend drivers and riders who are diagnosed with COVID-10 from using Lyft until they are medically cleared. https://www.lyft.com/safety/coronavirus
- Uber: is offering 14 days of financial assistance to any driver who is diagnosed with COVID-19 or is quarantined: "Any driver or delivery person who is diagnosed with COVID-19 or is individually asked to self-isolate by a public health authority will receive financial assistance for up to 14 days while their account is on hold. https://www.uber.com/us/en/coronavirus/
- UHAUL: Free Storage for College Students - https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About/20625/College-Students-U-Haul-Offers-30-Days-Free-Self-Storage-amid-Coronavirus-Outbreak/?utm_campaign=uhaulsm&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=pr&utm_content=20200312-uhaulisoffering30
- Valley Health - Hiring Temporary Staff - see hiring flier here.
- Walmart: Hiring 150,000 worker nationwide - https://careers.walmart.com/
- Flyer from Virginia Career Works with many new employment opportunities (3/26/2020)
- Goodwill's virtual job posting board: https://www.goodwillvalleys.com/virtual-job-board/
Create an account on the Virginia Career Works Referral Portal - a new tool that quickly and easily connects job searchers with training, career and support.https://app.virginia.myjourney.com/
Small Business Assistance
- GoFundMe launches a $500 small business grant program https://www.gofundme.com/small-business-relief-fundraisers?utm_source=email&utm_medium=marketing&utm_content=announcement&utm_campaign=032520_Small_Biz_Initiative_text_link