Project Submission Form (for AGENCIES only)
United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley Day of Caring will be held on Wednesday, September 16th, 2020.
If you are an AGENCY that would like to put in a request to have volunteers complete a project, please fill out this form.
Individuals who would like to request a project MUST go through a 501(c)3 organization to have the project submitted. Projects submitted on the behalf of individuals MUST be submitted by July 15th, 2020 to be eligible.
* Please submit each project individually on this form. We encourage all of our agencies to submit multiple projects for Day of Caring. United Way NSV will contact you in August if you project is accepted or denied.
COVID-19 UPDATE: To keep Day of Caring as safe as possible, all projects must be submitted for groups of 10 or less. Please feel free to submit multiple projects for one site, but each group of 10 MUST be separated from any other groups at the same site - Ideally each group would work in separated spaces, buildings, or floors. Please feel free to contact us for more information or if you have any questions.
Please consider submitting a virtual volunteering opportunity! Try some of these ideas:
- Write notes to clients/workers
- Create Videos to advocate and educate
- Reassurance Calls - Volunteers provide friendly calls to older adults and others who may be isolated. These calls are largely social “check-ins,” but volunteers will be asked to see if other issues emerge like food insecurity or transportation concerns.
- Digital tutoring with clients or students
- Read books online to clients
Please consider a remote volunteer opportunity! Try some of these ideas:
- Deliver meals to clients from food pantries
- Pot and deliver plants to clients, volunteers and nonprofit workers
- Package collected materials from a drive and deliver them to nonprofits and clients
- Make Something that Matters. There are a variety of items that can be created at home and donated to local shelters or other organizations. At home projects include creating masks and gowns, no-sew blankets, tshirt totes, senior care bags, notes of encouragement and gratitude, happiness jars, or locker posters to put on display when children return to school. United Way can provide details on a wide variety of projects.
- Who can submit a project? Any 501©3 in Winchester City, Frederick, Clarke, Shenandoah or Page County. We have occasionally done projects at local parks, churches, fire stations and civic organizations. Not sure if you qualify – just ask!
- What kind of projects can be submitted? Almost anything you think a regularly skilled volunteer could accomplish in about 6-8 hours. Some highly skilled projects are a little less common (roofing, plumbing, etc.), but it’s not totally out of the question, we just need to know ahead of time. We’ve also had volunteers read to kids, do activities with seniors, etc. It doesn’t have to manual labor!
- What if I know of an individual who needs a project done? Any individual needing a project completed MUST have it submitted by a 501©3 organization. The organization must make sure the project has been sufficiently vetted before submitting. Example: You know of an elderly resident living alone on a limited income that needs some landscaping done. A Person at your organization would submit the project on behalf of the resident and manage the communication between volunteers and the home owner. These projects MUST be submitted by July 15th in order to be elibible for Day of Caring.
- Can I submit more than one project? YES!!!!
- Who is responsible for the supplies to complete the project? The organization submitting the project is responsible. If you have a project and you can’t provide the supplies, please still let us know, as EARLY as possible and we will work to accommodate if we can.
- How many volunteers does the organization get? As many as you ask for – it can be 2-200. We work with teams of all sizes! (see COVID-19 update)
- How long are they there? They typically arrive around 9AM and most teams finish up by 3PM or 4PM.
- Do we have to feed volunteers lunch? Yes please! If you are not sure if you need to feed your group - please contact the team. Each site is required to have drinking water on hand at all times.
- Do we get to pick our volunteers? No, we pair your organization up with a group based on skill, size and a variety of other factors. It is a giant puzzle to put together, so we appreciate your flexiblity!
- When is Day of Caring? Thursday, September 16th for all areas!
- When are projects due? July 31st for projects at non-profits (see above for information on project deadlines for projects at individual homes).
- How do I submit a project? https://www.unitedwaynsv.org/project-submission-form
Who do I contact for more information? Elise Stine- Dolinar, Director of Marketing & Outreach, email@example.com