Volunteers Make a Difference
People volunteer for a host of reasons. Many feel compassion for others in need, some want to "give back" and others are passionate about the issues facing our communities. Whatever the reason, United Way finds a reason to provide a wide variety of options to get involved that match your interest and skills.
When you volunteer through United Way, your gift of time and talent is maximized and supported. We offer a breadth of meaningful, visible group or individual volunteer experiences.
Volunteer Opportunities with United Way:
- Fund Distribution Panel Members: The hard work has been done. Now it’s time to review our agencies and distribute the funds for the betterment of the community. We invite you to participate in our Grant review process as a member of a review panel to ensure that the grants will meet the needs determined in the Community Needs Assessment. Panel members represent the contributing public and help to insure that donated funds are well spent. Panel members work with other volunteers to review five to nine grant applicants and recommend monetary levels of support for specified programs. Commitment is about 25 hours from March-April.
- Rubbermaid Sales: The last Saturday of every month we need volunteers to help set up and staff our monthly Rubbermaid sales where we sell donated Rubbermaid goods and all the proceeds go back to supporting local non-profit organizations. Multiple shifts are available, very flexible, do one month, two or all of them, whatever works in your schedule.
- Campaign Volunteers: Get to know your community and help raise money for important local needs. Each year, United Way seeks individuals to assist local companies with running successful workplace charitable giving campaigns. Volunteering with the campaign can consist of helping to build and strengthen relationships with corporate partners; assisting with the distribution of marketing materials, presentations and data collection; and more.
- Board Members and Committee Members
- Special Skills - CPA, graphic design, video production, etc.
- Office Volunteers: Have a few hours during the week Monday-Friday 9AM-5PM to help us with some special projects, let us know!
- Internships: Internships with United Way NSV are a great way to give back to your community and gain valuable experience in a variety of areas. We offer flexible scheduling and offer internships in a variety of areas within our organization.
Volunteer Opportunities with Valley Assistance Network:
- Resource Navigators: The purpose of the Resource Navigator is to work with the Valley Assistance Network (VAN) team to connect families in the Northern Shenandoah Valley with services to help them move from crisis to stability, and ultimately financial security. These volunteers, acting as case managers, link clients to health and human service agencies, advocate for clients, research new and creative solutions, and providing support and encouragement.
- Tax Assistance Volunteers: New in 2021, VAN is recruiting volunteers to help families access self-preparation software using MyFreeTaxes.com. Volunteers are needed for shifts to supervise the computer lab and provide assistance with technical issues and basic questions. Bilingual volunteers are greatly needed!
- Budget Coach: The Budgeting Coach provides one-on-one financial counseling to individuals. This volunteer is responsible for advising clients how to experience financial freedom, empowerment, and security by taking a close look at their budget. They will help establish goals and then proceed to help recommend basic skills, habits and practices to improve their financial situation. *We are in desperate need of individuals who would be willing to do evenings and weekend with clients!*
Corporate Volunteer Opportunities:
For almost 75 years, United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley has served our community. Sponsorship opportunities bring in contributions that allow us to continue addressing our community’s top needs. As a United Way sponsor, your brand will gain recognition at both public and private events, and help us fund vital programs.